Cultural and Artistic Attraction in Tuscany Coast
Best Place to Visit in Tuscany
Poggio all’Agnello enjoys a strategic position along the Etruscan Riviera in Tuscany, making it easy to reach the main cultural and artistic attractions of Tuscany in just a short time, as well as numerous seaside locations.
In the immediate vicinity of the hotel (5-10 minutes by car) you can visit:
Situated on one of the promontories dominating the Gulf of Baratti, Populonia (a fraction of the municipality of Piombino) has particularly ancient origins. An ancient Etruscan settlement, it was one of the principal mining areas of this ancient population. Populonia has preserved the traces of its long history in both the Etruscan Necropolis and a castle in the medieval area of the city (Fortress of Populonia, dating back to 1400).
A small fraction of the municipality of Piombino, Baratti owes its fame to the Etruscan Necropolis, still visible to this day and just a short distance from the Gulf of Baratti. In the Roman era and earlier still in the Etruscan era, Baratti was essentially a stopover port for the transport of ferrous materials extracted from both this area and the Island of Elba. Today, Baratti is part of the Archaeological Park of Baratti and Populonia.
Situated on the promontory furthest north from the Gulf of Follonica, the city of Piombino was founded in the Etruscan era as the port of the city-state of Populonia. After the decline of the Etruscans, Piombino fell under Roman rule.
To this day, Piombino has preserved several testimonies of interest from past eras, including numerous churches, e.g. Concattedrale di Sant’Antimo (Co-Cathedral of Sant’Antimo, 1377) and various civil buildings including the stand out Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall, 1444) and the Palazzo Appiani (Appiani Palace, approx halfway through 1300s).
Piombino is linked to the Island of Elba and the Tuscan Archipelago by ferries departing every hour.
San Vincenzo is an important tourist attraction along the Etruscan Coast, situated to the north of the Municipality of Piombino. Renowned for swimming in the Maremma Livornese, in this area between the coast of San Vincenzo and the Gulf of Baratti, the Natural Park of Rimigliano can also be found, an oasis situated along the sea and coastline. This free beach also has “Punti Azzurri” (Blue Points), areas dedicated to providing assistance to swimmers.
At “medium range” from the Poggio all’Agnello Holiday Resort (15-30 minutes drive), it is possible to visit a variety of enchanting medieval villages.
Medieval Villages of the Etruscan Coast
A small and modest village with medieval origins, situated in the Valley of Cecina just a few kilometres from the coast, with characteristic narrow pebbled streets and laneways. Bibbona offers visitors monuments of historical and artistic significance including the Pieve di Sant’Ilario (Parish Church of Sant’Ilario, from the year 1000), the Palazzo del Comune Vecchio (old Town Hall) and the Church of Santa Maria della Pietà (Saint Mary of Mercy, 1400).
The large forest, “Macchia della Magona” with several hiking trails and paths for nature enthusiasts, forms part of the Municipality of Bibbona.
The village of Bolgheri is situated near Castagneto Carducci, at the centre of the Maremma Livornese. This small inhabited town with medieval origins was built around a castle, an ancient manor built around 1200. Today the castle is the central feature of a broad area of agricultural land particularly well known for the production of its namesake wine, “Bolgheri DOC”.
The characteristic village of Castagneto Carducci rests on a hill on whose summit can be found a medieval castle and the Church of San Lorenzo, the original nucleuses of this small inhabited town. Since the early middle ages, the history of this village has been tied to that of the noble family to which it belonged, the Della Gherardesca, who influenced its development and fate over the centuries.The name of the village was originally Castagneto Marittimo. It was changed to Castagneto Carducci at the beginning of the 1900s in honour of the poet Giosuè Carducci, who lived in the village for some years during his childhood.
Campiglia Marittima is an ancient medieval village of the Maremma Livornese. The term itself “Marittima” (maritime), indicates that it belongs to the Maremma (Latin for maritime).
Despite possibly being settled prior to the middle ages, most likely in the Etruscan era, Campiglia Marittima was mentioned for the first time during an act of donation in 1004. During this donation, Count II of Gherardesca transferred half of the castle and other possessions to the Monastery of Santa Maria di Serena.
As well as its characteristic and suggestive panoramic views, the medieval village of Campiglia Marittima also offers the possibility to visit the Museo Archeologico di Palazzo Pretorio (Archaeological Museum of the Magistrate’s Palace), housed in the namesake medieval building in the centre of the town. Also worth visiting is the Rocca di San Silvestro (San Silvestro Fortress), in the San Silvestro mining park.
At just 40km from Poggio all’Agnello, it is possible to visit the historical city of Massa Marittima with medieval origins.
Massa Marittima offers tourists many precious examples of religious and civil architecture, with stand out examples including the Cathedral of San Cerbone (1200), Il Palazzo del Podestà (The Mayor’s Palace, 1200), which also houses the Art Gallery and Archaeological Museum, the Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall) with the renowned Cappella dei Priori (Chapel of the Priors) and the medieval town walls which to this day mark out the old city.
From the Poggio all’Agnello Holiday Resort, renowned Tuscan cities of art can also be easily reached by car in approximately an hour.
Volterra is approximately 75 kilometres from Poggio all’Agnello and can be easily reached in roughly one hour by car or motorbike.
The city of Volterra boasts Etruscan origins whose traces are still visible to this day in the historical city centre, for example in the Porta all’Arco (The Arch Doorway, III-II century AC) in an excellent state of preservation, and in the Porta Diana (Diana Doorway) which preserves doorframe blocks from this very ancient era.
Situated at the summit of a hill, Volterra offers a suggestive panoramic view of both the magnificent Tuscan countryside and its architecture.
Volterra is embellished by precious examples of civil and religious architecture including Palazzo dei Priori (Palace of the Priors, 1246) in the heart of the city, the Romanesque style Cathedral or “Duomo” of Volterra (1100-1200), the Theatre of the Roman era (1st century AC) and numerous medieval tower houses.
Once you’ve visited Volterra, if you simply travel a further 30 km you can also visit the historical and evocative city of San Gimignano in Tuscany. This city is famous because its 13th century structure and appearance have been significantly preserved, allowing tourists to visit the virtually intact medieval city with its tower houses, narrow streets, religious and civil buildings.
In fact, following the black plague and famine which attacked the city around the 1300s, San Gimignano underwent a rapid process of decline and abandonment in the same century, resulting in the crystallisation of its structure from an architectural and urban point of view. It is thanks to this misfortune that San Gimignano is today able to offer its numerous guests such an incredible historical experience.
Another comfortable one hour excursion by car from Poggio all’Agnello (99 km) is the historical city of Pisa. This city offers its visitors the much researched “Campo dei Miracoli” (Field of Miracles), the popular name given to the city’s monumental piazza del Duomo, consisting in the beautiful Cathedral of Pisa (Romanesque-Pisan style architecture, 1064 DC), the renowned Leaning Tower of Pisa (the Cathedral’s bell tower) which has been leaning since its construction, the Baptistery (1152) and the monumental Campo Santo (Holy Field, 1278-1464).
The “Miracles” of architectural beauty are in fact the same buildings which comprise the city’s piazza del Duomo, according to a definition now in everyday use, provided by poet and writer Gabriele D’Annunzio.